Wednesday, February 4, 2009

PR Girls Night Out: Stitch

Last night, I enjoyed a girls night out with four of my favorite fellow PR ladies – Andrea, Lauren, Louise and Tara.

It had been many months since our last PR chicks happy hour, so we had much to catch up on over drinks at Stitch, a watering hole in NYC’s Garment District, right around the corner from my office.

Stitch: The perfect place for after-work imbibing, even on a chilly winter’s night

As we nibbled on some tasty appetizers (mozzarella sticks, chicken quesadillas and coconut flavored chicken nuggets), Tara filled us in on her plans for a fall wedding at a stately home in Florida with her beau of four+ years. Louise talked about her relatively new gig at Dan Klores Associates, Andrea mentioned revisiting Match.com, and Lauren and I (both Aquarians) shared our disbelief over turning 35.

After some shoptalk and musing about dream alternate career paths – culinary school, EMT training and full-time writing among them – we got onto the subject of online dating misadventures and our own personal experiences of the book-turned-movie “He’s Just Not That Into You.”

What is it, we collectively wondered, about meeting online that seems to subvert the whole point – getting to know someone in person? It’s almost like there’s an aversion to graduating from emails, texts, and IM’s.

I told the girls my approach to cutting down on the interminable communicating – saying right in my profile that I have no interest in it, and responding to an email from an interested guy with my number. If all he wants to do is chat online, I move on. Time is too precious, especially when you reach your mid-thirties, to do anything else – and much better spent enjoying the delightful company of good friends.

No comments: