Saturday, September 19, 2009

Opening The Vault: Part Fifty

When it comes to high school sweethearts, there’s good reason for the nostalgia associated with them. Years ago, I had the chance to rediscover why during a reunion with my prom date Hogan.

Ellis Island: Hogan and I shared a romantic afternoon here during his '97 visit to NYC

It was Valentine’s Day of '97. Hogey and I had reconnected months before in Toronto (where I spent part of my high school years). The chemistry between us had only deepened, so I was over the moon that he was finally coming to see me in New York. I now Open The Vault and take you back to February 1997...

New York, NY
February 7th, 2009


Dear Diary,

I can’t wait to see Hogan…Hogey has a sweetness and honesty that’s unlike any of the other men who have drifted in and out of my life. He’s driving down next weekend -- a 12-hour trek! -- and we’ll have our first opportunity ever to spend more than a night together.

Being with him will be the perfect cure for my winter blues.

* * *

February 15th, 1997

Even more so than during
our reunion back in October, I adore what makes Hogan who he is. There is no pretense or game playing with him because it simply doesn’t occur to him be that way.

As we cuddled by candlelight just now, I basked in the delight of our evolving closeness. We confide so easily in each other, invariably resuming without effort wherever we left off before.

Hogey himself mentioned how things between us continue to change each time we’re together.

“We never go backward,” he said. “We only move forward.”

He leaned over and nuzzled my nose before adding--

“I feel more and more passionate toward you.”

Indeed, the physical chemistry between us on this go-round has been very different from what it was in the past. It’s like the attraction between us has matured as we’ve come to know each other more completely. It felt so exhilarating to be with him.

Hogan’s tenderness has soothed away my recent romantic angst by reminding me that some connections only get better with the passing of time. We don’t have to complicate things by worrying about what comes next because the here and now is fulfilling enough.

Mmmm.

* * *

It would be more than a year before Hogey and I were reunited again. In the meantime, another old flame paid me a visit -- Sparky.

No comments: