Thursday, August 7, 2008

Socializing For A Worthy Cause

The other night, my friend Bobbi and I attended the Cancer Research Institute’s Midsummer Social. The event was hosted by CRI’s Young Philanthropists, a network of young professionals under 40 committed to supporting research in cancer immunology. Cancer is a cause dear to my heart – I lost both of my beloved parents to the disease – so I was happy to support the CRI and mingle with like-minded people as well.

CRI’s cocktail party (http://www.cancerresearch.org/events/Midsummer-Social.html) was held at Mantra 986, an intimate bar and restaurant in midtown that plays a steady stream of 80’s and 90’s hits. As Bobbi and I circulated through the well-attired crowd, we encountered some interesting characters along the way – including an interior designer who specializes in feng shui, a former Wall Street broker who recently made the switch to advertising and an IT expert who dreams of becoming a published author. My personal favorite was the charming Renaissance woman who studied fashion and cooking, yet found her bliss in the decidedly calmer world of office management.

After the soiree, Bobbi and I walked over to Luna Piena, a breezy Italian bistro that delivers service with a smile (not to mention adorable waitstaff) and a great, reasonably priced plate of pasta. Our menu of conversation included the diminished communication skills of men who rely on text messaging, and whether an initial lack of attraction means a spark can’t develop if you encounter that person again down the road.

My general rule of thumb is what I call the three-date minimum. If there’s a hint of chemistry, I’ll allow for it to develop some more over the course of three dates. After that, if no physical attraction materializes, better to move on. Time is too precious to date someone without feeling that ever-elusive spark.

Coming up…a girls night out at one of NYC’s top tourist traps and a weekend getaway to Atlantic City.

1 comment:

CRI said...

Thanks for helping to make the event such a success! Hope to see you at future Young Philanthropists events.

- Brian Brewer
Cancer Research Institute