Thursday, July 3, 2008

Music at MOMA, The Wisdom of Bartenders

Tonight, I enjoyed the kickoff of MOMA's outdoor summer series, "DALI: Imagined Musical Landscapes." Colombian singer Lucia Pulido's soulful sounds filled the museum's sculpture garden with passionate boleros, tangos and waltzes. Spanish music always leaves me wistful, no doubt because of my Hispanic heritage (maternal grandparents who were from Puerto Rico and Ecuador respectively).

After the music, I went inside and took advantage of MOMA's extended hours. What a pleasure to enjoy masterpieces by Monet, Matisse and their contemporaries without the usual crush of museum crowds! Definitely worth the $20 entrance fee.

My last stop of the night was Rockefeller Center, for a cocktail at the Rainbow Room. Over a perfectly chilled glass of Chardonnay, J.J. the bartender told me of his native Costa Rica, and of his wife making the first move when she spotted him at a ballgame in Texas more than 30 years ago.

"It's easier to win the lottery than to meet the right person," he says.

Truer words were never spoken, I think to myself.

What's the secret of his enduring marriage? J.J. lives in NYC. His wife lives in Florida.

I laugh and turn my attention toward sweeping views of the skyline, punctuated tonight by the Empire State Building lit up in red, white and blue. What better way to end July 4th eve?

God bless America!

No comments: