Sunday, September 14, 2008

Saturday Night Date

Last night, I my first date in two months with H. Over the past year, H and I have drifted in and out of each other’s lives, primarily because he’s my ex’s best friend. Fortunately, we were able to put that little wrinkle aside and have a delightful evening.

Our date began with a movie in Times Square, “Righteous Kill.” Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino rise above the occasionally weak script to deliver an entertaining, edgy thriller with a clever twist at the end. It’s worth the price of admission just to see these two acting powerhouses on the big screen together.

Huddled close under an umbrella, H and I ambled over to Hell’s Kitchen for dinner at Delta Grill, a laidback eatery that serves up a taste of New Orleans, with Big Easy staples like Po Boys, Chicken Gumbo and Beignets. While H indulged in shrimp creole, I opted for crab-stuffed tuna, saving room for an exhilarating dessert indulgence, bananas foster. Flaming bananas drenched in syrup topped with vanilla ice cream -- heaven on a plate and even better when shared.

Our last stop of the night was neighborhood bar Social, to watch USC’s football team crush Ohio State. Though I’m not exactly a gridiron girl, it was easy to get caught up in the fever of being surrounded by men cheering at the TV -- especially since one of them had his arm affectionately draped me the entire time.

Coming up…opening the vault to a week of romance in England’s capital and Celine Dion’s return to the Big Apple.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love when De Niro and Pacino are together in films. I also think that you and I share a deep love for desserts. hmm. yours sounds better than mine. I had a almond crusted blueberry sour cream pie... should have had the triple chocolate lava cake warm, with vanilla bean ice cream....

Melissa said...

We are definitely bonded by our mutual appreciation for Pacino, DeNiro and desserts! I think it's my turn to have dessert envy, because that sour cream pie sounds heavenly.