Friday, September 26, 2008

A Very Happy Hour at Houndstooth

Tonight, I had the pleasure of enjoying celebratory drinks with my good friend and colleague Caroline. The venue -- brand-new Houndstooth Pub located in NYC’s Garment District. The occasion? Landing a new client, the destination of Queensland (http://www.destinationqueensland.com/), home to the islands of Australia’s legendary Great Barrier Reef.

Breathtaking Natural Beauty: Australia's Great Barrier Reef

Ever since entering the world of travel PR four years ago, it’s been my dream to have a client Down Under. I’m a big believer that people need to know more about Australia and take the time to experience its many wonders. I fell under its spell during my first trip there back in 2001, to visit longtime friends in Sydney.

Immediately smitten, I ended up changing my departure date three times and returning for a five-month stint as a Sydney resident and freelance producer for Australia’s national public broadcaster, the ABC.

When I returned to the U.S., I was asked the same question over and over again -- is Australia really as amazing as everyone says it is? My answer was and remains a resounding yes. Rich in natural beauty and populated with genial people who have mastered the art of living well, the land of Oz has a charm unlike anywhere else.

As Caroline and I raised our glasses to my new Aussie adventure, we took in the scene at Houndstooth Pub (http://www.houndstoothpub.com/). Having opened its doors only yesterday, Houndstooth had an understandably small number of customers. But with a friendly staff, inviting mahogany walls and spacious size (6,800 square feet spanning a main bar and seating area upstairs, as well as two downstairs bars ideal for parties and more intimate gatherings), it’s easy to imagine a big crowd here once the word gets out.

On our way out, we chatted with Alan, recruiter by day and Houndstooth bouncer by night. Alan informed us his friend is the owner of Houndstooth and two other local bars, and promised he would keep Caroline and me in the loop about grand opening festivities. I’m looking forward to it. After all, as today’s exciting work development reminded me, new beginnings are always worth celebrating -- and doubly festive when you have wonderful friends to share them with.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Single Gal ...
I'm Nick the owner of STITCH and HOUNDSTOOTH. Thanks so much for your kind words. As for Queesland, my brother Lee lives in Cairns and is Australian Hairdresser of the Year and well connected in Oz. If you think he can be of any help to your new client i woule be happy to put you in touch with him. His Salon in Cairns is called Reds.

http://www.redssalon.com.au/

All the Best

Nick Cohen

Melissa said...

Hey Nick--

Great to hear from you and congrats on HOUNDSTOOTH (I'm a big STITCH fan as well). Would love to connect with your brother, thanks for the offer!

--Melissa

Unknown said...

Lee (my brother) in Cairns would love you to email him. His email is leecohen@bigpond.com