Friday, April 24, 2009

Move Over Miss Bradshaw

I’ve always been a big believer that each chapter in life prepares you for the one that comes next. Wednesday, I was happily reminded of that upon learning that I’ve been hired to write for Examiner.com.

Launched in April 2008, Examiner.com serves 60 major markets across the country and covers local information and events, with topics ranging from entertainment and fashion to relationships and travel.

My lucky break came about during an email exchange with travel journalist Rita Cook, also a contributor to the popular site. When I mentioned Single Gal In The City, Rita suggested I apply to Examiner.com -- and graciously agreed to act as a reference.

Following In Miss Bradshaw’s Footsteps: Along with being a blogger and publicist, I’m now a dating ‘examiner’

The New York Dating slot was already filled, so I was happily surprised to learn Examiner.com has chosen me as their NY ThirtySomething Dating examiner. Having crossed the 35 threshold back in January, it’s a title I’m happy to take on.

Of course, this exciting opportunity wouldn’t have happened without SGITC. And SGITC wouldn’t have happened without the encouragement of my Quinn & Co. colleague and friend Carla. And I would never have known Carla had another well-known travel journalist not forwarded me the opening at Q&C four and a half years ago.

Yep, every chapter really does beget the one that follows it. I think Carrie Bradshaw would agree.

3 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

Congratulations! I enjoy reading this blog so much so I hope you don't live it behind totally when you start your new writing adventures. :)

Melissa said...

Thanks! And not to worry -- Single Gal In The City will remain alive and well...she'll just be a little more strapped for time! :-)

Unknown said...

Congrats Melissa!! You're gonna be the best dating blogger/writer/ersatz Carrie Bradshaw ever!!

On another note, love that you and Mamacita Chilena have connected!!