Sunday, December 20, 2009

Opening The Vault: Part Fifty Nine

When you reach six months in a relationship, it tends to feel like something of a milestone. And never has that occasion been commemorated more memorably than it was back in ‘98 by then-boyfriend David.

Just a few days before Christmas, David surprised me with a grand gesture that literally brightened up my room. I now Open The Vault and take you back to December of 1998.…

December 21, 1998
New York, NY

Dear Diary,

I’m sitting here surrounded by five dozen roses. Yep, that’s right -- 60 roses, in a range of colors from the man I love.

A Sea Of Colors: Some of the 60 roses David gave me for six months together

The flowers were David’s surprise gift to me for our six-month anniversary, an occasion that has reinforced my deepening love and desire for him.

The magical day started with some holiday shopping. As we strolled around holding hands, I suddenly found myself imagining us doing the same -- like 20 years from now.

After stopping at Barney’s on Madison Avenue so David could get a tie for my family’s holiday party, we went back to Dad’s and joined him in the den. D really made the effort to contribute to the conversation. Since he’s on the quiet side, I know that can be difficult for him so it meant a lot to me. So did what happened next.

We walked into my room and I noticed two big, long boxes from a flower company in Canada. I immediately assumed they were from some high school friends of mine in Toronto. Then, with some help from D, I opened them.

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read the card--

“To the first six months…and to many more. Te quiero con todo mi corazon, David.”

I jumped up and threw my arms around him. I was so surprised!

D tended carefully to each flower, cutting the stems and filling vases with water while quipping that I needn’t worry about him taking up flower arranging.

In my room, I thanked him again. David said he’ll get me more flowers for my birthday -- and for our one-year anniversary.

* * *

I’m looking at the roses -- pink, red, yellow, white and peach -- now, marveling at how they’re opening. In my entire life, I’ve never been given so much from a man, nor have I felt so happy and connected to one. I love David, more and more every day.

* * *

David made good on his word to surprise me again for my birthday. As we grew closer, though, differences between us would emerge to test our love -- and threaten our future together.

No comments: