Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Casting A Historic Ballot

I just got back from voting and, unlike many Americans heading to the polls today, I managed to cast my ballot and be on my way within ten minutes. I was somewhat disappointed by the absence of a wait, and relieved to hear from a Board of Elections volunteer that voter turnout was much heavier during the day.

As I exited the voting booth, I couldn’t help thinking about what a privilege it is to have the right to vote, and how this historic election has provoked a lot more people to exercise it.

Hobbling To Vote: Having just come off crutches and still wearing a foot brace myself, I can appreciate the effort it took for this Charlotte, NC resident to vote (photo courtesy: AP)

My dear friend Morty waited 45 minutes this morning to try and vote, and will be heading back to the polls tonight. Another 20-something colleague of mine spent the last five days campaigning for Obama in Florida. My best friend Lisa followed media coverage and analysis of the presidential campaign religiously, moving at last from undecided to McCain supporter.

Despite all of the negative campaigning and puffed up rhetoric of Decision ‘08, something great happened along the way -- the American electorate has become re-engaged in the democratic process.

Regardless of who ends up in the White House, this active participation is key to getting America through the challenging crossroads at which we find ourselves. And, as Tina Fey and the cast of “Saturday Night Live” have brilliantly proven, so is having a good sense of humor.

No comments: