Thursday, November 6, 2008

Opening The Vault: Part Fourteen

When I think about my college days, I can’t help feeling nostalgic -- especially when it comes to my junior year in London.

My nine-month stint in England’s capital served up a series of memorable sights (including the late and lovely Princess Diana) and equally memorable entanglements with the opposite sex.

Things heated up on the romantic front during my final week abroad, at a dorm party that found me reconnecting with former flame and genuine good guy Stuart. I now Open The Vault and take you back to the summer of 1994...

June 10th, 1994

London, England
Commonwealth Hall

Dear Diary,

As Stuart and I danced, I scrambled to think of a plausible reason for inviting him up to my room. Inspiration soon hit me, and I told Stuart I needed his help with a computer problem.

Being a computer whiz/addict, Stuart didn’t hesitate to oblige my request and upstairs we went. He sat at my desk and I pulled up a chair right next to him, making a point of leaning in close as we talked, and flashing him my best seductive smile.

My Humble Abode: Room 725 at University of London's Commonwealth Hall

It turned out that my technical difficulty with accessing computer sound files perplexed Stuart as well.

“So,” he asked, “what do you do?”

Though he was referring to how I had tried to access the sound files, the playful smile on his face confirmed he had more than computers on his mind.

I continued flirting, happily remaining at only a breath’s distance and resting my chin on my hands. When Stuart briefly left, I decided to create some ambiance, by turning off all of the lights except one, putting on music and shpritzing myself with perfume.

Upon his return and at his request, Stuart moved to the bed. Enjoying the slow, sensual pace of things, I restrained myself from laying next to him and chose instead to remain in the chair.

* * *

Before the night was over, Stuart and I would re-cross the platonic line with a kiss, and the promise of another encounter before my imminent departure. He would also predict that, once I was back in New York, my year abroad would seem like a dream.

He was absolutely right.

No comments: