Friday, November 7, 2008

Girls Night At Shabu Shabu

Earlier this week, my friend Cindy and I caught up over dinner at Shabu Shabu, a Japanese eatery on the Upper East Side with an impressive 30-year history. This was my first visit to Shabu Shabu and, for the most part, I enjoyed it.

Shabu Shabu: This laidback UES eatery delivers decent sushi and service with a smile

While my appetizer choice (shumai that stuck to the bowl) was underwhelming, I enjoyed a tasty fatty tuna roll along with eel and white tuna sashimi.

Cindy and I eyed with curiosity another table of diners enjoying the Japanese art for which the restaurant is named. Literally meaning “swish swish,” Shabu Shabu refers to the process of cooking beef and vegetables by dipping them in boiling water. A small butane stove is brought to the table, topped by a pot of liquid in which diners dunk morsels presented on a platter.

Over dinner, Cindy and I talked about the Renaissance of Atlantic City, the challenge of coming up with creative Halloween costumes, and some of the surefire ways to drop 10 pounds in a jiffy -- including breakups or, as I recently discovered, foot surgery.

My only regret of the night was not trying Shabu Shabu’s eponymous specialty. Next time.

No comments: