Thursday, November 27, 2008

What I'm Thankful For

When it comes to having a gratitude attitude, I’m a big believer in finding something to be thankful for every day. On this holiday dedicated to doing just that, I’m lucky to have a very long list of reasons for Thanksgiving.

I’m thankful for the joys of being single. From enjoying evenings out on the town solo to girls nights out galore, this is the year that I rediscovered the fun of being unattached.

Along the way, I’ve also found myself appreciating all over again the blessings of good friends. From my work husband Morty to my Kansas City-based best friend of twenty years Lisa and beloved buddies in Australia, Canada and England, my inner circle make the highs higher and the lows infinitely more bearable.

My friends have helped carry me through the journey of recovery from foot surgery six weeks ago. I’m especially thankful for the healing powers of the human body – and the soothing effect of a good, purple-tinged pedicure.

As I celebrate today with my brother Ray and sister-in-law Barb in Delaware, I can’t help thinking about holiday celebrations past.

Holiday Classic: My beloved late grandfather (and culinary whiz) cooks up a big bird, Thanksgiving circa 1978

I think of my adored and very-much missed parents and how they brought our family together year after year. I’m thankful for the happy memories they gave us and for how their spirits continue to guide and inspire me.

Finally, I’m thankful for planes, trains and automobiles. This holiday weekend, I’m using all three modes of transportation. The latter two brought me here to the First State and tomorrow, the first will take me to Jacksonville for the celebration of my cousin’s son’s Bar Mitzvah. That means twice as much family bonding – what better way to kick off the holiday season?

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

No comments: