Sunday, October 4, 2009

An Evening At Hope Lodge

Thursday night, I attended an American Cancer Society reception for pacesetters -- people who raise $2,500 for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

NYC’s Hope Lodge: The venue has helped more than 3,000 patients from all over the globe

The reception was held at Hope Lodge, which provides lodging and support for cancer patients and caregivers. Most patients who come to Hope Lodge have breast cancer, including 42-year-old Lisa Francis.

Lisa Francis a.k.a. “Cancer Killer” moved everyone with her courageous story

A Trinidad native, Lisa has been through three surgeries and chemo since being diagnosed last December. And she’s lost a 32-year-old friend back home to breast cancer.

“It is because of the American Cancer Society that I am standing here,” she told us. “If I was back home, I wouldn’t be celebrating my birthday.”

Four-time cancer survivor and makeup artist Jilladair was also on hand to talk about how she’s battled the disease, and to share her animal-free cosmetics line. She’s created a fabulous Tickled Pink lip gloss in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Jilladair and me at the reception

During the reception, I chatted with fellow past pacesetters Erica and Annette. Annette has been battling breast cancer for a decade. Like me, Erica is an annual participant in Making Strides because she lost her mother to the disease.

My mom once said that she believed there would be a cure for breast cancer in my lifetime. I’ve been making strides for 12 years now to help make her vision a reality.

Mom died a week before her 58th birthday. The theme of this year’s walk is a world with more birthdays. I hope you’ll click here and support me in taking steps toward that world and toward becoming a pacesetter once again.

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer will take place on Sunday October 18th.

No comments: