Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Learning From Little Ones

Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of taking my young nephews to an indoor playground.

As I watched them run around, I couldn’t help thinking about the parallels between their bravery and what it takes to move in and out of the dating scene when you’re in your mid-thirties.

Redheaded and Adorable: My nephews Dylan (left) and Eddie

Eddie, 6, and Dylan, 4, stuck close together while climbing the jungle gym. Dylan, who tends to be the more fearless of the two, had no problem leading Eddie to the top -- but he needed some encouragement himself once they got there.

“I’m scared,” Dylan admitted, hesitant to crawl through a bouncy tube way up high.

After assuring him it was safe and he would be fine, Dylan barreled right through the tube, flying into my arms exuberantly as he exclaimed--

“I did it! I did it!”

His excitement was contagious. I was reminded all over again about the rewards at every age of taking risks, and about two of the playground rules that are equally applicable to dating -- don’t be afraid to try something new and, when in doubt, do it with a buddy.

No comments: