Friday, January 9, 2009

Spending The Day In L.A.

Today, I spent the day in the Los Angeles office of the client responsible for my imminent trip Down Under, Tourism Queensland.

Following a lengthy PR brainstorming session in her brightly lit office overlooking the mountains, Regional Director Shana and I headed out for lunch, enjoying a sunlit drive to Marina Del Rey.

I couldn’t help thinking of my last visit to this beautiful part of L.A., with my former long-distance love Sparky, back in ’94. The subject of moving on from old flames and embracing the future was one of many that came up during lunch with Shana at The Cheesecake Factory.

Shana and me after lunch in Marina Del Rey

As we enjoyed farfalle in a mushroom cream sauce, delectable tiramisu cheesecake and a beautiful harbor view, Shana and I talked about our good fortune in finding jobs we adore that allow us to tell the story of some of the most beautiful places on earth. We also reiterated our shared philosophy about dreaming big and reaching for what might seem like the impossible -- why not?

With my departure for Queensland just a few hours away, it felt like the perfect time to be talking about big dreams. I always hoped that working in travel PR would lead me back to Australia and, at long last, it has. I can’t wait to experience what Tourism Queensland refers to as life above the reef.

Stay tuned for more as I Dispatch from Down Under!

No comments: