Saturday, January 10, 2009

Rubix Cube Redux

Last Saturday, my friend Lauren and I enjoyed a girls night out at O’Flanagan’s my favorite neighborhood pub.

A fellow travel PR maven, Lauren was the first person I connected with in the industry back in ‘04, when I was making the jump from TV news. We hit it off immediately during an informal networking lunch. I remember thinking if travel PR attracts fabulous women like her, this is the business for me.

Girls Night Out: Lauren (far right) and me rocking out to Rubix Cube with our new friends at O’Flanagan’s

After talking shop for a few minutes about representing Australian destinations, we moved onto more pressing matters -- like our shared New Year’s resolution to do more mingling with the opposite sex and make sure we’re having plenty of fun along the way.

To that end, we joined new friends Lori and Jamie on the dance floor to the groovy 80’s sounds of Rubix Kube.

Rubix Kube: The crème de la crème of 80’s cover bands

I first caught Rubix Kube at SoHo’s Canal Room last summer. The band was even more entertaining the second time around, and I was especially delighted when keyboard player Rich Forman made this special dedication --

“This goes out to all the single gals in the city here.”

As Rubix Kube kicked into high gear with classics from Erasure’s “A Little Respect” to Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy,” Lauren and I burned off our holiday indulgence with a little booty shaking.

During “Billie Jean,” I joined a male reveler in the center of the floor and we danced like it was 1985 while the crowd cheered us on.

It was well after 2am when we called it a night. I was exhausted but exhilarated, knowing that this is just the beginning of what is shaping up to be a great year. How could it be otherwise with my 35th birthday later this month and my long-awaited return to Australia just a few days away?

No comments: