Friday, January 9, 2009

Taking To The Skies With QANTAS

Yesterday, I embarked on the first leg of my trip to Australia, flying to Los Angeles on QANTAS. From the minute I checked in, I was reminded of why the Aussie carrier is one of my favorites.

Despite the fact that my suitcase was 1 kilo over the 20 kilogram limit, the genial ticket agent didn’t charge me an excess baggage fee.

Upon boarding, I was delighted to discover that I had three seats to myself. Though I was in coach, the service and amenities were first class.

It began with a hot towel and complimentary bottled water. It continued with top notch in-flight entertainment and a choice of two entrees for dinner -- beef casserole with mashed potatoes or cheese ravioli in a cream and mushroom sauce.

Flying the Friendly Skies: The hard-working QANTAS flight attendants took good care of everyone

I opted for the latter (delish), regretting my decision to stop at McDonald’s in the food court a few hours before. I’m so accustomed to the lack of food on U.S. flights that I forgot how much more generous international carriers are. Also included in the meal -- cheese and crackers, strawberry danish, a selection of beer and wine (Champagne too) and coffee or tea.

While catching up on the news with Australia’s Channel Nine, a dreamy QANTAS ad came on, revealing the airline has been around for 88 years.

“Flying longer than any other airline,” said the voiceover, “And it shows.”

I couldn’t agree more.

Coming up…pampering with a purpose and Dispatches From Down Under!

No comments: