Monday, July 13, 2009

Being Happy About Being Single


It’s that time of year again – when the sight of baby bumps and the sound of I Dos are as common as the mercury rising.

The other day, I spotted three pregnant women within a two-block radius. And I’ll be attending two weddings this month.

With all of this exposure to babies and happily ever after, I can’t help thinking about timing and what an impact it has on these milestones.

When I was in my twenties, I never imagined that I would reach my mid-thirties and still be single. Looking back at the trajectory my life has taken, though, I can’t imagine it having gone any other way.

Over the last decade, I’ve had the pleasure and privilege of following my dreams wherever they’ve taken me. From chasing on-camera stardom in Illinois and Delaware to living the good Aussie life as a Sydney resident for five months, I have truly enjoyed the freedom that comes with being unattached.

And, of course, along the way, I have made a few pitstops for romance. I’ve experienced my fair share of serious relationships and not so serious dalliances that have helped shape both the woman I’ve become and the partner I look forward to becoming someday. In the meantime, I’m happy to be single – and to be a part of the nuptial and parental rites of passage.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll even catch the bouquet.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Thanks, I needed that :)

J. Philip said...

Well said! Happier people make better mates.

Anonymous said...

This is nothing but bull....It's only to support your own overblown ego about being single. There's no joy in beng single when you are in your 70's and 80's and have no money or mate to spend time with and the days and nights are so lonely. You will see...time waits for no one.

Melissa said...

Couldn't agree more about happier people making better partners.

To that end, I think it's only a good thing to have a healthy sense of self before entering into a relationship. And while time waits for no one, rushing into love out of fear for what might not happen later is a recipe for disaster.

Anonymous said...

Running away from love out of fear for what might happen later is also a recipe for disaster

Diana said...

"This is nothing but bull....It's only to support your own overblown ego about being single. There's no joy in beng single when you are in your 70's and 80's and have no money or mate to spend time with and the days and nights are so lonely. You will see...time waits for no one."

Huh? Where did having "no money" come from? What does that have to do with anything?

My mom was married at 22 and widowed by 47.

And even if you don't have a mate, you can still have plenty of friends and family to spend time with.

I guess I just don't see the point in settling for the sake of not being alone!!! I know of way too many people who end-up married and miserable!