Thursday, July 2, 2009

Catching Up With The Lost Girls


Tuesday night, I had the pleasure of catching up with friends (and writers extraordinaire) Amanda, Holly and Jen, a.k.a The Lost Girls.

I joined the ladies for a happy hour at The Australian, an Oz-themed bar in Midtown West. With a perfect glass of rose in hand, I filled Amanda in about my recent dating adventures and making the Top 50 for Murphy-Goode Winery’s A Really Goode Job. She and her sweet boyfriend Jeff were gearing up for three-week vacation to one of my favorite countries, Costa Rica.

Speaking of significant others, Jen was all aglow about her new beau whom she met unexpectedly a month ago at a party.

“We started talking and haven’t stopped,” she said with a smile.

In reflecting on the early days of getting to know someone new, Jen and I talked about how men in New York differ from, say, their counterparts in the South. Southern males, Jen observed, assume women will be a little coy and play hard to get while Gotham guys expect more assertiveness. As a modern woman who’s still a traditional girl at heart, I have to say Jen gave me food for thought.

We also found ourselves talking about something that seems to be coming up a lot lately for me -- the challenges of making time for romance when you’re juggling a career, friends and the generally frenetic pace of life in NYC.

Just back from China and a stint in upstate New York, Holly shared the welcome news that she’s moved to the Upper East Side, just a few blocks away from me. We shared a cab uptown, parting with promises to take in some of my favorite neighborhood haunts together. Busy or not, there’s always time for a girls night out.

No comments: