Wednesday, July 29, 2009

When Romance Meets Reality


When you go to a wedding, you can’t help thinking about the trajectory that your own love life has taken. Having just witnessed two couples start their lives together, I’ve found myself pondering what happens as romance first blossoms.

Theoretically, the beginning of a relationship is supposed to be a blissful, effortless time (or, at least, that’s how it is in my fantasy world). But what happens when reality gets in the way?

I’ve experienced my fair share of romantic starts challenged by outside forces. Geography proved to be a foe twice, first when I fell for California native Mark (a.k.a. Sparky), then again when I met Illinois resident Steve days before moving back to New York.

The most devastating trial to coincide with a new love -- losing my mother just five weeks into dating noble and dashing Brit David.

Sometimes it’s a less dramatic circumstance that poses a threat to growing chemistry. Like dating someone who’s obsessed with his dogs or who works completely different hours. It’s hard not to feel like your romantic dreams shrink a little when time doesn’t allow much margin for error.

I guess the trick, as mom used to say, is knowing how to be content with what you have. And, of course, making sure to communicate during any bumps along the way so that the time you do share with your sweetheart is well spent.

Who says romance and reality can’t happily coexist?

3 comments:

michael said...

very well said...

Melissa said...

Thanks! :-)

me said...

yes ...nice posting....i think you will find you and i have a bit in common....