Friday, July 31, 2009

My First Time At BlogHer

Last Friday, I joined 1,500 other women for BlogHer, the largest annual gathering of female bloggers in the U.S.

The big crowd at BlogHer’s opening session

The Mommy bloggers were out in full force. During the opening breakfast, I had the pleasure of connecting with two of them – Devra of Parentopia and Ellen of Love That Max. In the small world department, Devra mentioned working with a few of my Quinn & Co. PR colleagues, while Ellen and I discovered we have a mutual friend in common.

After a quick round of speed networking with other bloggers, I was off to a series of informative and engaging panels covering topics from owning your expertise to making the transition from blogger to author (Izzy Rose and Stefanie Wilder-Taylor had some fabulous tips to share).

During an afternoon break, I headed onto the expo floor where big brands ranging from Suave to Wal-Mart were showcasing what’s new. My favorite, and most unexpected, attraction, though, was the fabulous Carson Kressley.

Carson Kressley: The style guru and TV personality is equally charming and hilarious in person

On hand to promote BlogHer sponsor Nikon’s "How To Look Good In Pictures"campaign, Carson charmed the crowd and delivered one of the day’s best one-liners. When Mrs. Potato Head approached him for a handshake, Carson quipped that he’s trying to cut back on carbs.

Cheryl of Jack And Jill Politics and I talked about the amazing things that can happen when you start blogging. She had just interviewed President Obama a few days before and marveled that he was well acquainted with her site. I felt the same way when Cheryl said she was familiar with Single Gal In The City.

Stephanie (a.k.a Queen of Quirky) and me at the cocktail reception

Later, at a cocktail reception for attendees, I connected with fun and fabulous Stephanie (a.k.a Queen of Quirky). We talked about our similar career paths – moving from journalism into PR – and the party we’d like to co-host at next year’s BlogHer. I can’t wait, especially since BlogHer 2010 will be in NYC.

After putting in a brief appearance at one of the Mommy blogger-sponsored soirees, I headed back to my room feeling exhausted but inspired. Having met so many smart, accomplished women passionate about contributing to the blogosphere makes me feel even more privileged to be a part of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, thanks for sharing that picture. Blogher was like the Prom of the blogosphere and I got to go. I feel so lucky. And so glad to have met you.