Monday, August 3, 2009

A Night Under The Stars

Last Tuesday, I headed over to swanky rooftop bar 230 Fifth for the Starlight Foundation’s Night Under The Stars.

The three-hour event -- which raised $20,000 -- boasted a posh sold-out crowd of 250 people, open bar and delicious hors d’oeuvres that included sliders, chicken fingers and Asian fare.

Smiling Under The Stars: (from left) Lauren, me and Donna at Starlight’s summer affair

My good friend Lauren, part of Starlight’s benefit committee, introduced me to executive director Elaine Siver. I also met some of Lauren’s fabulous galpals from her Fire Island summer share days and caught up with her sister Donna.

Among the topics of conversation – to date or not to date someone a decade younger, addressing the thorny subject of money with a significant other and whether there’s any value in using canned pick up lines.

The latter subject came up with Jamie, a male buddy of one of Lauren’s friends. Jamie told me he doesn’t have a standard pick up tactic when approaching women. I said that’s probably a good thing, the caveat being that a line can be an effective ice breaker if it’s delivered with just the right balance of playfulness and sincerity.

What are some of the most outrageous pick up lines you've heard?

Starlight’s next party is set for September 23rd at the Frying Pan in Chelsea. Sign me up.

No comments: