Thursday, August 6, 2009

By The Numbers: Art Of Courtship Edition


When it comes to dating, there’s a lot to be said for the art of courtship.

Over the years, I’ve had the good fortune of dating a variety of men who know what it means to truly woo a woman. In this day and age, that’s no easy feat given how modern mores seem to scoff at the very idea of romance – and imply that being an independent woman is somehow at odds with wanting (and enjoying) the rites of courtship.

During those heady first days and weeks of getting to know a new love interest, I'm a big fan of mixing it up. A combination of spontaneity and planning, of the grand gesture and the little things, goes a long way toward getting off on the right foot romantically speaking. Here are a few of the memorable ways I’ve been wooed – By The Numbers:

Number of men who said it with flowers early on: 5
Number of men whose initial courting tactics included a concert or Broadway show: 5
Number of men who whisked me away on a romantic trip: 3
Number of men who added to my menagerie of stuffed animals: 3
Number of men with whom I’ve done karaoke (and not lived to regret it): 3

My most recent karaoke outing was with hunky cop and Match.com member Rich. He belted out Bon Jovi’s “Dead or Alive,” while I made like Tina Turner and sang “The Best.” Never underestimate the icebreaking effect of warbling after you’ve had a few drinks.

What are some of your top picks for great dates?

3 comments:

me said...

I learned a lesson early on from a male friend of mine who asked a girl out and her response was "if your going out with me you have to have something to do"...he busted...I boomed...i asked her out and told her what our plans were for the evening......we ended up high school sweethearts....

Melissa said...

What a great story -- and example of how, when it comes to romance, a little planning goes a long way!

Anonymous said...

I stubbled upon your blog. As a SATC bigtime fan myself. . .even though I am an old fart and purely enjoy it for the voyeurism of living vicariously through you all. . . I began reading you.

Thanks for the great posts!