Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Catching Up With An Old Flame

Last night, I caught up with my Aussie old flame Jason, for the first time since our romantic encounter back in his native Perth in 2002.

Over a delicious dinner at one of my favorite neighborhood Italian bistros, Zucchero e Pomodori, the conversation flowed freely as we filled each other in on the last six years.

Zucchero e Pomodori: One of the best Italian bistros on NYC's Upper East Side

I told Jason about the fulfillment I’ve found since leaving the gypsy world of TV news behind for public relations, and the amazing places (Argentina, Brazil and Costa Rica, among others) my job has taken me to. He mentioned his own travels as First Defence Secretary Liaison for Australia's High Commission, including a stint in Iraq that had him wanting to return as a tourist.

Eventually, we got onto the subject of romance. It turns out Jason has someone special back in Australia who will soon be joining him up north in Ottawa, his new hometown. Interesting that this never came up during our email exchanges over the last six months, but then again -- men are nothing if not full of surprises.

After dinner, we headed over to Irish pub Doc Watson’s for drinks and talk about the differences between U.S. and Australian sports (baseball lasts for a few hours, a game of cricket usually stretches across several days). A few beers later, it was time to call it a night.

As we parted company, I couldn’t help thinking about the curious juxtaposition of an old flame with a New Year -- and feeling even more that this is a time to look forward and not back. I can’t wait to see what 2009 has in store.

No comments: