Saturday, December 27, 2008

Opening The Vault: Part Twenty One

When you’re in a long-distance relationship, where you spend time with your significant other becomes almost as important as how often. So it was for me and my California sweetheart Mark (a.k.a Sparky).

Our first few encounters took place in my world. We met in New York, fell in love in London, then reconnected back in the Big Apple when Sparky came to visit in July of 1994. A month later, it was time for me to start racking up the frequent flier miles and head out to L.A., for our first rendez-vous in Sparky’s home state. I now Open The Vault and take you back to the Summer of ‘94...

Granada Hills, CA
August 26th, 1994

Dear Diary,

Yesterday, I had a glorious night view of L.A. as the plane descended. There was something so meaningful about the moment. Sparky and I were about to be in the same time zone again. That we had both traveled so we could be together made our love seem magical.

The Look of Love: Sparky took this picture of me during a visit to Disneyland, August 1994

My best friend Lisa had asked me earlier in the day what I was planning to say to Sparky when I saw him. I told her I wasn’t planning anything. I was finally at the point where I didn’t have to think about what to say. The only thing I had to think about was how quickly I could run into his arms.

* * *

Upon entering the terminal, I searched the crowd for him. Suddenly, I spotted Sparky a few feet away.

He quickened his pace as he approached me and we fell into each other’s arms. We shared the most perfect kiss and I could feel my entire body tingle the way it always does when Sparky touches me.

Our lips reluctantly parted and we gushed about happy we were to be together. Sparky kept telling me how beautiful I looked and we talked about my trip, holding onto each other tightly the entire time.

While we were waiting for my luggage, Sparky didn't stop looking at me.

“Look at you,” he said. “You’re just gorgeous.”

We kept kissing -- in the airport, next to his car -- the surge of adrenalin I felt was incredible.

Sparky left it up to me to decide how we would spend the evening. Needless to say, I opted for going back to his place.

At one point, he pulled over to make a turn -- and we melted into another kiss. Mmm.

The drive to Granada Hills was wonderful. We drove with the top of Sparky’s convertible down (until the wind started wreaking havoc on my hair). Beyond the freeway, I caught a glimpse of the city lights and mountains. I felt so happy…and anxious to get close to Sparky.

When we finally arrived at Sparky’s two-bedroom condo, I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed. The modern, bachelor pad décor (black leather couches, sleek black furniture, etc.) bothered me. Why? Because I was wondering if our tastes would be compatible if we ever get married!

Before I unpacked, Sparky and I began to make up for lost time. The explosive chemistry between us, compounded by the time apart, was more intoxicating than ever. I felt dizzy as he kissed me over and over. I couldn’t get enough of him and I could feel that he felt the same way…

* * *
Yes, that first night together again with Sparky was blissful. And, in keeping with the trajectory that would come to characterize our relationship, it kicked off an emotional roller coaster that made my inaugural West Coast visit a very intense one.

Coming up…afternoon tea at one of NYC’s best boutique hotels and Saturday night on the town with one of my favorite soul sisters.

No comments: