Monday, December 29, 2008

A Tea-rrific Christmas At The Lowell

On Christmas, I joined my friend Tiffany and her friend Jen for a delightful evening at one of NYC’s top boutique hotels, The Lowell.

As soon as we walked into the Lowell’s Pembroke Room, I felt transported by the old world elegance and impeccable five-star service. It was like we had entered a private dining room from centuries ago, with rich tables adorned by crisp white linens and colorful china, and a mantel festooned with Christmas decorations.

Old World Elegance: The Lowell’s Pembroke Room served up a memorable Holiday High Tea

The Lowell’s Holiday High Tea menu featured a special selection of hand picked leaf teas and herbal infusions, assorted tea sandwiches, fresh pumpkin bread and, of course, classic blackcurrant scones with berry preserves and Devonshire cream.

The charming and knowledgeable maitre’d had me appreciating in a new way how, much like wine, tea is a beverage of numerous delectable varieties and flavorful fusions. All of the staff made us feel at home while we lingered for nearly four hours, savoring the festive surroundings.

Topping it all off -- a cup of traditional German Glühwein (sweet wine) and a tiered silver tray of petit tarts and pastries.

As we exited the Lowell, I was happy to have discovered a new addition to my list of favorite neighborhood haunts. And I found myself in complete agreement with the Henry James quote on the Lowell's holiday menu --

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

No comments: