Monday, December 8, 2008

Holiday Shopping For Romance




This morning, for the umpteenth time, I saw a Christmas-themed “every kiss begins with Kay” jewelry ad. As I watched the canoodling TV couple, I couldn’t help thinking about real-life romance during the holiday season.

My good friend Tiffany believes this is the perfect time to be on the prowl. Between holiday soirees and other festive functions, she says, there’s no better season for scoping out the dating marketplace.

Tiffany's perspective gave me food for thought, as December has always found me either on a dating hiatus or ensconced in my romance du jour with Mr. Right For Now.

During past relationships, the holidays have generally fallen safely within the honeymoon period -- i.e., 4-7 months into dating someone. Having been like that kissing Kay’s couple (minus the surprise diamond) more than once, I’ve come to associate this time of year even more with nurturing established ties rather than forging new ones.

With my 35th birthday just five weeks away though, maybe it’s time to rethink the potential of Christmastime for surprises that have nothing to do with unwrapping gifts. After all, I’ve always believed that a new year brings with it new beginnings. Why not get a jump start on that by enjoying some holiday mingling?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad I got you to reconsider! How could THE BEST wing woman in town not soar her way through the holiday bashes ;-) Like a hawk, I bet you catch the best fish in the sea!

Tiffany

Melissa said...

Back at ya my dear friend!

I think there's something to the power of suggestion. Right after I decided (thanks to you) to reconsider the idea of holiday romance, an old flame emailed to say he's coming to NYC for new year's! :-)