Sunday, December 21, 2008

Celebrating The Season With My Colleagues

Thursday night, I attended Quinn & Company’s delightful holiday party, held upstairs at Angus McIndoe’s, a cozy restaurant in the heart of NYC’s Theater District and just a few blocks up from our office.

As always, it was a treat to kick back after hours with my colleagues, a truly fun and spirited group of people. An added bonus was getting to see my good friend Morty, who left Q&C a few weeks ago to pursue his phD in psychology.

Pick Me Up: Morty’s arrival at Quinn & Co’s holiday soiree elicited big cheers and hugs all around

One of my favorite things about Quinn & Co’s holiday soiree is getting to know a little more about the people I share my work week with. I learned that real estate PR whiz Steve has an Aussie boyfriend and that fellow travel publicist Ashley is a master at crocheting.

The award for best anecdote of the night goes to the always affable Li, when he was reflecting on the consequences of working in an estrogen-heavy environment (35 of Quinn & Co’s 40 employees are female). He recently found himself spending time with Steve and real estate VP Greg -- at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Once we settled in our seats for a delicious three-course dinner (I chose the Caesar salad, lasagna and chocolate cream pie), our fabulous president Florence gave an inspiring speech about the challenges of this year and her confidence in the talent and creativity of everyone who works at Q&C.

Group Shot: Me and my travel colleagues. That's our president Florence (in purple) on the right, and behind me (in red) is Q&C partner Carla, the person responsible for me entering the blogosphere!

Following a few more speeches from the higher-ups, it was time for the annual tradition of Secret Santa. My boss John surprised me with London in a Bag building blocks and a greeting card cutout of the London skyline.

As John spoke about my passion for travel and for a handful of cities in particular (Sydney, Rome and Paris round out my top 5), I felt a surge of delight. Not only do I work for someone who knows me very well, I get to do my job in a place that allows me to follow my bliss every day. What a perfect gift to be reminded of at a company holiday party.

No comments: