Friday, December 26, 2008

Girls Night Out In SoHo

Last Saturday, my friend Bobbi and I headed down to SoHo for night of eating out and live music.

Our evening began at Petrarca, an Italian bistro and wine bar right across from the Tribeca Grand Hotel. A surly hostess notwithstanding, I enjoyed the restaurant and its inviting atmosphere (high ceilings and shelves with wine bottles lining the walls).

Petrarca: Delightful Italian fare in SoHo with an extensive wine menu

As I enjoyed a delicious plate of fettucine bolognese, Bobbi and I talked about the romantic possibilities of ski weekend getaways, the question of whether size really matters (um…yes) and the joint celebration plan for our 35th birthdays next month.

Then, we were off to one of my favorite nightspots, the Canal Room, to enjoy the sounds of two great cover bands. We caught the tail end of Almost Queen, and their energetic takes on “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Somebody to Love” and, of course, “We Will Rock You.”

I was most excited for the headlining act, Unforgettable Fire. The longest running U2 tribute band (born 14 years ago), UF recreates with gusto U2’s distinctive sound.

Unforgettable Fire: Powerhouse vocals and musicianship, and the ultimate U2 tribute experience

Led by vocalist and Bono doppelganger Tony Russo, UF blazed through some of U2’s best -- from classics including “America” and “Helter Skelter” to more recent hits like “Beautiful Day” and “Elevation.” Bassist Craig (Adam) Kiell, drummer George (Larry) Levesanos and guitarist Mick (Edge) Normoyle complete the powerhouse band.

I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing U2 live. A guy standing beside me who’s seen both U2 and Unforgettable Fire said UF is the closest you can get to an actual live U2 show. I’m even more excited now about seeing Bono perform -- and about catching UF again next time they’re in town.

No comments: