Thursday, February 19, 2009

Behind The Tents At Fashion Week

Monday night, I enjoyed my first foray into the tents at Bryant Park for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.

Strike A Pose: Making my debut at NYC’s Fashion Week

My entré into the by-invitation-only affair came courtesy of my friend and fellow publicist Cyndee, who was working the event on behalf of a high-profile photographer client.

After getting over the disappointment of missing Justin Timberlake by just a few minutes, I followed Cyndee into the entry hall, which was teeming with fashionistas and sponsored kiosks.

Behind The Tents: A display celebrating Barbie's 50th dominated the entry hall at Fashion Week

We stopped at trendy NYC bar Tenjune’s area, sipping on a few cocktails (French martini for me) as we talked about new romance and when it’s appropriate to bring up the future. The question’s been on Cyndee’s mind with her beau of four months.

Next, we walked over to the W lounge, a purple-lit perfect reflection of Starwood’s modern chic hotel brand. On the complimentary menu -- cheeseburger sliders from Pop (yum) and red velvet cupcakes courtesy of Billy’s Bakery.

Cyndee introduced me to charming and adorable celeb gossip Ben Widdicombe, of New York Daily News, Star magazine and Stylelist.com fame.

Cyndee, gossip columnist Ben Widdicombe and me

Turns out Ben is from Queensland, my new favorite state Down Under since last month’s big trip to Australia. He made it clear he doesn’t miss it much. I was surprised -- I miss it and I only spent a week there!

Still, as much as I love the land of Oz, there’s no denying NYC is the place to be when it comes to fashion and, well, everything.

It was fun masquerading as a hipster for an evening. And even more fun knowing my snazzy metallic jacket was a bargain purchase from Kohl’s. After all, in times like these, it’s especially fabulous to feel like a million dollars without having to spend as much.

1 comment:

Globetrottingbride said...

Sounds like a great time! And, I absolutely love your jacket! Tres chic. I've gotta go to Kohls!