Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Weekend Getaway In Delaware's Capital

This weekend, I’m enjoying a little getaway to Dover, Delaware’s sleepy but sweet capital city, and some quality time with my brother Ray and sister-in-law Barb.

Mi Familia: I took this picture of Ray and Barb at the Jersey Shore, May 2007

After a delicious home-cooked breakfast courtesy of Barb (melt in your mouth fried eggs and English muffins), we continued our tradition of bargain hunting with a visit to Shoe Show, a Payless-esque store where I struck footwear gold. Two pairs of shoes and three pairs of slippers for $56 – a welcome change of pace, so to speak, from price points in my beloved Big Apple.

Another tradition – going to Franco’s, a longtime favorite, for dinner. A casual neighborhood eatery serving up tasty, traditional Italian fare, Franco’s has a deserved reputation for being one of Dover’s best. Italy-born Franco and his charming wife Louisa, who greeted us with big hugs and kisses, really make you feel like family.

Over a shared plate of lightly breaded calamari and some superb pasta entrees (the fettucini carbonara was heavenly), Ray, Barb and I talked about the $650 million Delaware budget gap that could lead to a first-ever state sales tax, the allure of New Orleans and the superiority of snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef over anywhere else.

As we left Franco’s, I couldn’t help thinking how rare it is that going somewhere makes you feel like you’re coming home. And how lucky I am to feel that way whenever I visit Ray and Barb.

No comments: