Thursday, February 12, 2009

Second Thoughts About Pricey Matchmakers

Earlier this week, I mentioned my plan to sign up with the dating service Great Expectations. Since then, a little Google research has revealed it might not be the best bet in this (or any) economy.

Apart from a hefty membership fee ranging from $1,000 to $5,000, Great Expectations has generated a number of complaints from disappointed customers.

“I never ever would have signed their contract if I was told the truth about their services or clientele,” said one Florida woman recently in a roundup of negative feedback for Great Expectations at ConsumerAffairs.com.

So, much as I was looking forward to the photo/video shoot that comes with GE’s pricey package, I’m going to invest in some budget-friendly tried and true online dating services instead – and add a few new ones to the mix too. Apparently, there’s a site geared toward board game lovers. Maybe I’ll find my Scrabble soulmate.

My Great Expectations research reminded me that it pays to be a savvy shopper – especially when you’re browsing for someone special.

No comments: