Friday, February 27, 2009

Mardi Gras In Manhattan

Tuesday night, I caught up with my cousin and soul sister Alexandra for a spontaneous girls night out.

Our evening began at delightful Upper West Side eatery Pappardella, where we enjoyed a three-course prix meal for $25 – butternut squash puree soup, sauteed salmon and dessert (TiramiSu for Alexa, strawberry and cream filled pastry for me).

Pappardella on NYC’s Upper West Side serves up tasty and traditional Italian fare with a hospitable staff

Over dinner, Alexandra and I dished about favorite recessionista bargains (Kohl’s and H&M top the list) and our love lives. She said she’s taking it slow with an on-again off-again old flame, while I filled her in about a few promising Match.com prospects – one of whom, if his picture is any indication, bears a resemblance to “Sex And The City” hunk Chris Noth.

From Pappardella, we headed down to the Empire Hotel for a Mardi Gras party benefitting Mercy Ships, a global charity that operates hospital ships in developing countries. Held at the hotel’s swanky rooftop bar, the soiree featured a live jazz band and interesting crowd of professional types.

Most of the men in attendance were either wearing wedding rings or engrossed in a guys night out, so we concentrated on people watching with cocktails in hand, and talking about plans for our annual girlfriends getaway. Still, I was happily surprised when a tall drink of water stopped me on our way out to ask for my number.

With a date tonight and plans tomorrow that might result in another, it seems that my romantic fortunes might be changing. Who knows? Maybe 35 is the new 25 after all, encroaching crow’s feet notwithstanding.

No comments: