Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Opening The Vault: Part Twelve

When it comes to relationships, the honeymoon period always seems to race by in a heartbeat. The same could be said of my week in London with California native Mark (a.k.a Sparky).

Our whirlwind week in England’s capital took us on quite a journey. We shared giggles in the Whispering Gallery of St. Paul’s Cathedral, tears at “Phantom of The Opera” and countless kisses in Trafalgar Square. We laughed at our mutual affinity for the 80’s film flop “Xanadu” (Sparky worked on the movie, I loved the unabashed cheesiness of it). And, as his departure approached, we shared our thoughts about the future.

I now Open The Vault and take you back once again to the spring of 1994...

London, England
Commonwealth Hall

May 3, 1994

Dear Diary,

Our final day together began with a quick bite at McDonald’s on Charing Cross. I became weepy thinking about Sparky’s departure and our obstacle-laden circumstances. It was a subject we would return to that night.


We strolled over to Leicester Square. Sparky pulled me into a passionate kiss. I was beginning to wonder if we were overdoing it on the PDA when I spotted two ladies in a café applauding us and smiling.

London's Leicester Square: A great spot for PDA and people watching

After stopping in Chinatown for some takeout, we went back to Sparky’s hotel room for a cozy, low-key evening. I told Sparky that I didn’t want to leave him in limbo because of my inability to make a commitment.

“Five years might seem like a long time,” he said, anticipating how long it would take me to be ready to settle down, “but it’s not to me.”

He was silent then as he inscribed the following on the inside cover of the “Xanadu” soundtrack he’d bought me…

“You are the most magical woman I have ever met.
All the wonders of the world will be yours. I love you.”

We fell into each other’s arms and a beautiful dance. Somehow, dancing felt like an affirmation of our love and what we meant to each other.

Magic.

* * *

With talk of a potential second encounter in London, I said goodbye to Sparky and wondered when we would be together again. It would be months before we were reunited. In the interim, the final part of my junior year abroad brought its fair share of surprises -- including a few more of the male variety.

Coming up…more outrageous first dates and the conundrum of relationship make or break deadlines.

No comments: