Monday, October 20, 2008

Walking And Rolling: Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

Yesterday, I participated in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Central Park. This year marks the 15th anniversary of Making Strides and my 11th year being a part of it. And, because of my recent foot surgery, it’s also the first time I did the walk in a wheelchair.

My fabulous friends and fellow striders Caroline, Cindy, Leila and Sara burned some major calories as they pushed me along the four-mile route. I couldn't have done it without them.

Making Strides Together: (from left) Cindy, Sara, Caroline and Leila joined
me in Central Park yesterday

Before making the trek, each of us pinned signs on our backs in memory of my beloved mom, who lost her battle with breast cancer at the age of 57 ten years ago.

According to the American Cancer Society, 182,460 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year and 40,480 women will die of the disease. The money raised at Making Strides goes directly to ACS programs including cancer research, education and support for patients.

I’m thrilled that, for the third year in a row, I’m a Pacesetter -- someone who has raised more than $2,500 for the fight against breast cancer. And I’m looking forward to making strides, with the best group of friends a girl could ask for, until the day when there’s no longer a need for it.

It’s not too late to join me in making a difference. Click on the link to the right and donate whatever you can. Every dollar counts and brings us one step closer to crossing the finish line of making breast cancer a thing of the past.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I hope that your foot surgery has nothing to do with wearing fabulous shoes!

My friend has her last chemo on Wednesday...after her double mastectomy. We're having a party!

Melissa said...

I'm hoping fabulous shoes will be an option now that I've had my surgery. One foot down, another to go!

I'll be toasting your friend on Wednesday, happy to hear she's done with chemo.