Sunday, March 8, 2009

Celebrating A Cherished Friend

It's not often that someone celebrates a birthday by giving back to family and friends -- but that’s exactly what my dear friend Tiffany did for her 36th on Friday.

All smiles: Tiffany and me during her divine birthday celebration

Tiffany treated a dozen of us to candlelight yoga at the Om Factory in NYC’s Garment District. Previous yoga experiences left me exhausted (and preferring Pilates), so I was happily surprised that the third time in this case proved to be the charm.

Om Factory: The perfect setting for soul-soothing candlelight yoga

Led by Tiff’s friend Allison, the one-hour session accomplished what yoga never had for me before -- reconnecting me with all that I’m thankful for and challenging me physically in a way that didn’t feel like slow torture. It didn’t hurt that the studio offered an amazing view of the Empire State Building.

A View of the ESB from Om Factory's main yoga studio

The class wound down with everyone sitting in a circle and sharing a special memory or sentiment about Tiffany -- and ended, of course, with some delicious yellow sponge cake courtesy of Tiff’s mom.

Next, all of us walked over to Koreatown for a late dinner at Kum Gang San, complimented by live music performed by a piano/cellist duo on a faux cliff ledge.

Sweet Sounds: The musicians at Kum Gang San performed a perfect medley of tunes from the Sinatra era.

Pooped from yoga, I decided to make an early exit -- but not before Tiffany took me aside to give me one of her legendary hugs and ask how my week was. Even though this was her night, she never stopped taking care of everyone. I’m looking forward to celebrating many more birthdays with her.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out! So glad you had a wonderful time. xox