Thursday, March 5, 2009

Flying Solo For A Night

For as much as I love an evening out with friends, sometimes it’s fun to fly solo and see where the night takes you. Last night, it took me down to NYC’s hip Meatpacking District.

After a quick bite at Chelsea Market, a vibrant arcade of food, wine and dessert shops, I went next door to Buddakan, the dazzling restaurant that hosted Carrie & Big’s rehearsal dinner in “Sex And The City.”

Carrie and Big: Like me, SATC’s star-crossed couple enjoyed a night out at Buddakan

As I sipped on a perfect cosmo at the bar, I found myself sitting next to a cute but frazzled-looking derivatives trader. He was anxiously checking his Blackberry and when seven of his clients appeared a few minutes later, I understood why. In this economy, if you’re lucky enough to have a job, it’s even more important to bring your A-game to it.

From Buddakan, I jumped on the subway and headed up to Midtown, where I strolled past a few women camped out (literally – with tents) in front of Barnes & Noble, hoping to secure admission to a Miley Cyrus book signing the following day. More power to them in this nippy weather. I would do the same to see my beloved Ricky Martin, though the longest I’ve lined up for him so far is 5 hours.

At home, following a 30-minute chat with the Match.com guy du jour, I continued watching the SATC movie with commentary from writer and exec producer Michael Patrick King. I smiled when the DVD cued up to none other than the aforementioned scenes at Buddakan. Filming for SATC 2 is scheduled to begin this fall – let the groupie activity begin!

Coming up…co-hosting happy hour at a hot Lower East Side nightspot and celebrating a friend’s birthday with a spa-dinner-karaoke trifecta.

No comments: