Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Finer Points of Beer

Last night, I joined work galpals Caroline, Morgan and Katie for a sold-out beer tasting at Loreley, a German speakeasy on NYC’s Lower East Side.

Loreley: The perfect place for a beer tasting

Our animated group of 12, which included friends of Katie’s and Morgan’s, settled into a corner communal table, gleefully taking in a three-course meal (Caesar salad, sausage and mashed potatoes, strawberry shortcake) and a lesson in the finer points of beer.

As we enjoyed nine ales and lagers, German-born host Rudy informed us that all of the country’s breweries are microbreweries because of strict purity requirements. It was Morgan’s sweet hubby Arthur who revealed that wheat beer is less likely to cause a hangover since it uses a different kind of grain.

Cheers: (from left to right) Me, Molly, Beth, Caroline, Katie and Morgan all smiles at Loreley

At the female end of the table, hangovers were the furthest thing from our minds. Katie’s galpal Molly was contemplating her upcoming 30th birthday. Beth, Katie’s roommate, had us laughing about a disastrous date with a guy who’d been dumped the day before. He proceeded to show her pictures of his ex -- then plead with Beth to make out with him because he’d already been rejected. Charming.

Long on charm -- Louis, a recent transplant from France who asked me about my days in the world of TV news. Turns out his girlfriend is where I was nine years ago -- finishing up at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism.

Morgan asked if I ever regret leaving journalism for PR. I told her -- marveling as I did so -- that four and a half years later, I’m still very happy in my second career. How could I be anything else when I’m surrounded by so many fabulous women?

Up next…two Match.com dates in as many days and an action-packed girls night out.

No comments: