Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Great JDate

Last week, I met up with fellow Upper East Sider and Jdate.com member Scott.

Our first stop was Per Lei, a hip neighborhood eatery that attracts a mixture of locals and Eurotrash. Over drinks at the bar, I soon learned that Scott and I have a few unfortunate experiences in common – losing a parent to cancer and dating people with pets.

Thankfully, we were able to share a few laughs about the latter. Scott became turned off to dogs after he got stuck walking one girlfriend’s Shitzu every day. When another significant other informed him three months in that she’d bought a pooch, he had an announcement of his own – it was over.

A very warm and smiley guy, Scott also impressed me with his varied career. After stints as a social worker and investment banker, he picked up and moved to China to launch his own teddy bear company (which explains his profile photo standing beside a giant bear).

Felice: This wine bar on the UES is a great date spot. And the Tuscan bread is delish.

At our second destination, the much quieter and more appealing wine bar Felice over on First Avenue, Scott told me about his current gig as a pet pharmaceutical sales rep. He filled me in on the science of making pet prescription drugs, a task he is occasionally charged with as the company’s backup pharmacist.

Though I tried to stay focused during his lengthy tangent, I could feel my eyes glazing over as he spoke of chemical compounds and pill pricing. A little science talk goes a long way.

Scott walked me home, squeezing my hand and giving me a quick kiss before saying goodnight.

He has since invited me to join him during one of his daily workouts. It's a departure from my idea of a traditional second date, but why not? With bathing suit season approaching, I need all the incentive I can get to set foot inside a gym.

No comments: