Monday, June 22, 2009

Date With A Witty Accountant

Last night, I went out with Patrick, a 43-year-old real estate accountant and part-time comedian.

Patrick I and first connected back in March through TheSquare.com. With tax season finally over (his clients include Blue Parrot, the Hamptons restaurant co-owned by Jon Bon Jovi), he resurfaced a couple of weeks ago.

Accademia di Vino: This UES wine bar has a great menu…and mouth-watering cheese plate

We met up for drinks at my favorite neighborhood date spot, Accademia di Vino on NYC’s Upper East Side. Over a couple of glasses of white wine and a heavenly shared cheese plate -- five varieties including pecorino and parmigiano -- we talked about far-flung travel destinations and juggling our respective day jobs with extracurricular pursuits.

In addition to being a veteran of Gotham’s comedy club scene, Patrick has tried out for NBC’s “Last Comic Standing.” He gave me a sample of his repertoire and I was impressed with his ability to deliver a good punch line.

Also refreshing -- his honesty about how being single past a certain age often leads to questions. Nice to know women aren’t the only ones on the receiving end of this.

Patrick says he tells inquiring minds that, with life in New York being as full-on as it is, thirty and even fortysomething single hood isn’t so unusual. Truer words were never spoken.

Patrick walked me home and said he’d like to go out again, maybe even have me come and watch him perform. I’m not sure I felt sparks between us…which is why I’m looking forward even more to my long-awaited second date tonight with Rich.

No comments: