Friday, June 12, 2009

Meeting A Member Of The Brat Pack

One of my favorite things about living in New York is random celebrity encounters. Yesterday, I had a most unexpected celeb sighting – at a travel industry event held at the New Yorker hotel in Midtown NYC.

My lovely colleagues Katie and Morgan and I were representing Quinn & Co at Caribbean Media Marketplace, where travel providers in the region (and the PR agencies who rep them) have the opportunity to schmooze with journalists.

Travelgirls: Me, Katie and Morgan at Caribbean Media Marketplace

Imagine my surprise when none other than actor Andrew McCarthy approached our table.

I smiled widely, unable to resist quipping that he’s not a member of the media. He laughed, and genially corrected me – saying he’s moonlighting as a contributing editor for National Geographic Traveler. It turns out he’s been writing for the venerable magazine (and its sister publication, National Geographic Adventure) for years.

Andrew is an absolute charmer in person. He has the same mischievous smile and quick wit that made him so irresistible in many of the classic 80’s movies (“St. Elmo’s Fire,” “Mannequin,” and of course, “Pretty In Pink.”). And yes, he’s still adorable.

I don’t know what made me feel older – remembering those movies, or the fact that my twenty-something colleagues didn’t know who Andrew was. Thankfully, my good friend and fellow PR maven Lauren was in attendance and she shared my excitement about this celebrity blast from the past.

I love New York.

1 comment:

heatherk said...

I'm jealous - he was my favourite when we were teenagers!