Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dinner With A Dear Friend

Last week, I caught up with my dear friend Marilyn, in town from Ohio, and her lovely daughter Karen.

The three of us met for dinner at Basso 56, a delightful downstairs bistro in NYC’s Theater District with staffers who have mastered the art of swift service that doesn’t feel rushed.

Basso 56: I couldn’t have been happier to stumble upon this slice of Italian charm in NYC’s Theater District

Marilyn and I hadn’t seen each other since our glorious brunch last summer with mutual friend, actor A Martinez. Over a delicious dinner (grilled salmon with roasted pepper puree sauce for me), we talked about A’s recent exit from “One Life To Live,” the five-star entertainment of this year’s Tony Awards and the budding writing talents of Marilyn’s teenage grandson.

Marilyn is an amazing woman. In addition to being a wonderful friend, she’s a devoted mother and grandmother with a great sense of fun and a true appreciation of life’s pleasures, big and small.

I’ve lost count of how many times, over the years, we’ve curled up on her couch and shared hours of effortless conversation over a cup of tea. The pleasure of her company has comforted me through many a trial -- from the deaths of my beloved parents to multiple breakups -- and remains one of life’s sweetest joys.

She and Karen were off to see “Jersey Boys” so our time together was far too brief. Still, I know whenever we see each other again, we’ll pick up right where we left off.

We always do.

No comments: