Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Unwinding With A Staycation

For as much as I love to travel, there's something to be said for staying put. This week, I'm doing just that and enjoying a staycation.

According to a 2008 survey by the Travel Industry Association, about 9% of Americans were planning a staycation this year.

Lunch At the Times: Today, I caught up with a j-school friend over lunch at the NYT's cafeteria with sweeping city views


For my hometown retreat, I'm availing myself of the best of the Big Apple -- including happy hour at swanky Haven on NYC's Upper East Side -- and catching up with friends old and new, from lunch with a journalism school buddy at the New York Times to drinks with a veteran news editor at Star magazine.

And yes, I'm doing my best to follow one of the top rules for a successful staycation -- telling my nearest and dearest I'll be unreachable. Because sometimes you have to completely disconnect to reconnect with yourself.

No comments: