Monday, June 1, 2009

From Blogging To Books

When you’ve been keeping a journal since childhood like I have, you inevitably find yourself wondering, would my story make for a good book? Thanks to a recent meeting with a top literary agent, it looks like the answer to that frequently pondered question might just be yes.

A few weeks ago, said agent emailed me to say she had read Single Gal In The City and would love to talk to me about writing a book.

The next day I was in her office, learning the importance of having a “platform” (i.e. built-in audience) when pitching publishers and hearing about her ten years of experience representing authors.

From Columnist to Author: Like SATC's Carrie Bradshaw, I’m hoping my musings end up in a book

She encouraged me to stay in touch with her, start reading lots of memoirs (do Tori Spelling and Michael J. Fox's current books count?) and continue spreading the word about SGITC. Her greatest feedback, though, was this--

“There’s definitely a book in there.”

I’m a big believer that serendipitous things start to happen when you believe in your dreams enough to put words to them. Since my agent encounter, I’ve connected with two newly-published authors who were equally positive about my prospects for getting published. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

What do you think, SGITC readers? Could I make the same leap Miss Bradshaw did? More importantly, what should I title my memoir?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are THE real "Carrie Bradshaw" without trying to be a "Carrie". Go for it!!! ;)

Globetrottingbride said...

Absolutely!!!! I will be first in line to buy a copy!! How exciting. I can't wait. I'll start brainstorming titles...

Sarah said...

I've been internet-less for *gulp* 6 days! I've missed reading you! As for a book....of course!

Melissa said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm so excited about following in Miss Bradshaw's footsteps (even though I can't fit into her Manolos) and watch this space for how my journey to getting published unfolds! :-)

Unknown said...

Without a doubt! I want a signed copy! First comes a book...then the tv show...then the movie! Who will play YOU???

Sara said...

I say start writing the book and the title will come to you. You've got talent girl, can't wait to see what happens next.